Monday, February 27, 2017

Sadness versus Grief & Epilogue

It hit me recently that I have had little to share of my own story here in over a year. Oh, don't get me wrong. It's not that there haven't been things going on. However, in terms of anything specifically related to this journey through Hell that is grief, there has not been as much, or at least not much new. Two more anniversaries of her suicide have gone by, one relatively benign (if such a word can ever fit) and the last harsher than experienced for several years. It seems that's par for the course. I doubt that day will ever completely pass me by without the sting of it taking my attention, if even for a moment.

I've come to accept that this journey leaves it's marks. Whether it's from the price of entry or what goes on during the trek, it leaves its traces and scars. No one I've met and talked to on this road has come through completely unscathed and unaffected. It does have benefits, again if that word can ever be used without a twitch or twinge. Greater compassion for others, greater understanding of what truly matters in life, less concern about things that don't matter, increased self-awareness...all of these seem to come, to one extent or another. But there are also prices exacted for them, some of which seem to be ongoing. At this point, I can't say for sure. It has been just over six years; I don't know how it will look or be by 10 or 15 or 20.

I do know, though, that it is no longer the central, dominating point in my life. I know that not every waking moment is, if not defined by the grief and loss, somehow touched or tainted by it. I don't recall a day that has gone by where some thought of her hasn't come to mind. However, they no longer consistently have the power to take my breath away, to drop me to my knees, or even to stagger me. Again, don't get me wrong. Those things do still happen. They have become more occasional, though. Much more the exception to the rule. More often these days, when they do affect me like that, it is more of a brief stagger than a near-collapse. I imagine it to be like someone with an old wound from a bygone injury, who sometimes feels the twinge in a knee or feels an arm briefly go weaker. Reminders but not catastrophes.

I had thought this might only be an epilogue to the story I started telling here, but it seems there is one last idea that wants to make itself known, and it's tied to the idea of there being a coda to at least this part of my story. Life has moved on, and not all the ways in which it has done so have been painful or bad. I've found new accomplishments and the ability to find joy and satisfaction again, both in new things and in returning to some I'd feared permanently contaminated by her memories and loss. Perhaps one of the greatest has been having the capacity to see a future returned to me. Before then, looking ahead showed me only a series of grayscaled images of me, standing in front of a house with a car in the driveway and a cat in the window. As they'd progress, perhaps the details would change, a new car, a different house, a different cat. And me just getting older until my time would just...run out.

That's not the case anymore. I can now see a future. The images have color and vibrancy to them, and they call to me. I find I've had a return of the capacity for hope that I'd started to believe had been burned out of me by the sadness and confusion and fear. It's still a new thing. I'm still having to learn how to balance it out in my experience again, not being too driven or carried away by excitement. At the same time, also not getting overwhelmed by the occasional fear something might not work out and those seemingly fragile hopes might be dashed. But that doesn't seem like dealing with grief and loss anymore. Instead, it seems like it's re-learning how to live, revisiting lessons from my teenage years. As uncomfortable as that can be, I'm OK with it. Coming alive is a good thing.

Just as important, I've found the capacity to love again. That's a long story, one for another place and another time. What is relevant is that it's returned. As of just over a week ago, I got engaged. Yes, there is some fear of things ending as they did, or at least as badly as they had, before. But now there is also the hope that they may go well. Along with that, there is the feeling that the chance is worth taking. One complication is that she lives in another state. It's a situation we're working to resolve, though it won't happen as fast as either of us would like. For now, we're having to content ourselves with visits when and how we can. She just left four days ago from such a visit, which was when our engagement was formalized between us. Seeing her off at the airport was, as I'd expected, painful. Adjusting to her not being here again has also been hard.

It's brought what I'd first been tempted to call the final lesson. Realistically, though, I'm not sure of its finality, so perhaps it's better to say the latest lesson: sadness is not the same as grieving. The first time she left, it was nearly devastating. Even though the visit had gone well and all was good between us, I found myself reacting as if she had disappeared from my life for good. The water glass and coffee cup she had used went unwashed on my countertop for weeks. I couldn't bring myself to undo those reminders that she had been here, that we had shared some cherished time. There were other indicators, too, all of which told me I was desperately clinging to those memories, and much of that from the fear that was all there would be. Irrational, I know, but nonetheless undeniable.

This time around, though, I can see that coming up, and I have the sense of sadness. I also can see how it differs from grieving a loss. Yes, it still hurts that she isn't here. I suspect that will be the case for at least several more days. But I can bring myself the reminder that she isn't gone, not in any permanent sense. I have reminders enough, not the least of which are two pictures of our hands together with her engagement ring clearly prominent. I know she loves me and wants me in her life as much as I love and want her. I know I will see her again, and that the day will come when such departures are much more the exception rather than the consistent state of affairs. I'm learning how to be sad again, and not fall back into grieving what part of me still fears is a tremendous loss. Much like learning to have and manage hope again, it's another lesson to re-learn. It's another that I take on willingly, and even gratefully.

For now, it seems the story I have to tell here has come to its close. Mine hasn't; it still goes on. But the purpose for this blog seems to have run its course.  I may put up more; I may not.  Regardless, I'll leave this here for others to find as they may need it. I know the stories of others helped me make it through. Knowing that someone else had had to trudge these paths, to push through each of the circles and layers of Hell, and had been able to come out on the other side gave me hope. I'd offer it out to those who sadly must follow, that it might be a similar source of hope and encouragement. As frightening and painful as it can be, this kind of Hell has no power of its own to hold us fast. It only gets that when we stop pushing through ourselves. Each step might be only a fraction of a millimeter, but each fraction brings us closer to the final egress. There are times to fold and cry, times to stop and rage, times to pause and question the apparent capriciousness and cruelty of creation. If we can continue on, though, we will make it out. In Dante's original work, it meant making it down through all the circles of Hell, finally past the lake of ice in which Lucifer was forever frozen, to find the ultimate way out and onward. It can be done. It requires only willingness and persistence.

To those that follow, know my heart is with you. For what it might be worth, know you have my blessing, my encouragement and my love. This Hell cannot stop or bind you. You can make it all the way down, and ultimately out. Others have made it. I am no saint, and if a man like me can make it through, then rest assured you can as well. Know we are on the other side, cheering you on. Despite its power to frighten and confuse and sadden and enrage you, Hell ultimately has no hold on you. Your heart and spirit are your own.

You can get through. You can get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment