Sunday, November 2, 2014

Complicated Grief Study, Part The First

Having been asked by several people how it's going and what it's like, I figured it'd be easier to just write up a post than have to have the same conversation or send the same e-mail/message time and time again. Accordingly, this is a description of it, at least thus far. I learned about this months ago, through a NAMI sponsored support group for those who'd lost a loved one due to suicide. They were looking for people who'd lost someone at least six months ago, and were still struggling with it. I called in, went through the screening instruments, and basically got the answer, “Uh-HUH! Complicated grief, all right!” Unfortunately, they'd just started a group of folks through it, so I had to wait for about three months to get the chance to get in. However, from what I was told about it, it's designed to help folks who've been struggling with some of the same kinds of things I have been. I'd said early on that I'd be willing to try just about anything that seemed like it'd have a reasonable chance of helping, and this fit in just fine.

So I waited.

It started up five weeks ago. The first week was a mix of going over some of the basics about the group, like how long it'd run, some of the stuff we'd cover, the idea we'd have homework, confidentiality, etc. The rest of the first meeting was folks introducing themselves and telling the story about who they'd lost and what had happened. The second group was more of the same introductions, as we hadn't finished the first time and there were some folks present the second meeting who weren't there the first time. One thing I got from that is that the friends who'd worried that the groups I've been part of are just focused on reliving the loss over and over were wrong. Just talking about and listening to those losses was really hard. I'd talked about Ariel's story before, but it'd been some time since I'd spent that long on it, and moreso since spending that much time hearing what anyone else had been through. I could see the point to it, but I really hoped that there wouldn't be more of it, at least not that much at one time.

The third meeting didn't seem to offer me much more, either. We went over the grief & emotion tracking logs that they'd given us, as well as talking some about what both “regular” or healthy grief and complicated grief are. Again, I could see the point to going over that. Not as many folks had read up on complicated grief as I had by that point. Heck, I'm pretty sure some hadn't read up on grief in general as much. And I understand why they wanted to go over it for those folks, to have a better idea of what we're working with and what to expect. I was glad that they made the point that the goal wasn't to get this all gone. Instead, it was to get to where we didn't feel stuck in it anymore, and to give us some tools to use to work through some of those things. Still, I was having to hold really hard to the idea that it'd help, that there'd be more to come.

Things changed in the fourth meeting. That was the one where they introduced what they're calling an exposure treatment. It's an approach I'd heard of before, under the name “systematic desensitization.” They had us list out some grief goals, as well as how much distress just thinking about them brought up. After that, we were to pick one that was a low to moderate level of discomfort to start working on. The process would start with spending 15 minutes a day just thinking about doing that activity or goal, and no more. The idea would be that, over time, our bodies 'n' hearts would stop reacting as strongly to it. Once we got to where there wasn't much distress (three days in a row where just thinking about it would rank about a two on a scale of one to ten), then we'd go on to the next step and repeat. The idea would be to work our way closer and closer to being able to actually deal with that goal itself, without either feeling stuck or overwhelmed by it. It wouldn't mean that it wouldn't hurt or be difficult, but that it'd be manageable.

Macho idiot that I am, I first picked the hardest goal that'd come to mind, sitting down to watch the video of our wedding. I'd watched half of it one time after she died, but haven't been able to approach it since. Thankfully, I pretty quickly realized I was overdoing it, and that I should follow the directions and pick an easier one. The one I picked is being able to look through the pictures of her I had printed out and put into a photo album. And so I've been just thinking about doing that. The first day I did so, the distress ranked about a six out of ten. As of today, it's the second time that it's only ranked about a two. If that keeps up tomorrow, I get to go to the next step. I reckon what's worth trying next is just sitting holding the photo album. Not opening or looking through it, but just holding it. And see how that goes. I like the idea of eventually getting to where I can look at those pictures of her when I want or have good reason to, and not having to wait for a time when it's just suddenly OK or manageable. Her recent birthday would've been a good day for that. Same with our wedding anniversary. Hopefully, I'll be there in time for the four-year mark in February...but that's for down the line.

The only thing I'm running into as a challenge with it so far is that spending the time even just thinking about looking at her pictures that much is leaving me kind of unsettled and wound up. As it's usually toward the end of the evening I've made time for it, that's meant I'm not able to unwind enough to sleep until later than I'd like. I'm sure that extra degree of exhaustion isn't helping matters any. I'm hoping that as the distress continues to abate and the success with this mounts, it'll get easier to let it go when I'm done.

There are other things left to face. I'm curious to see what else they'll present for us and have us do. At least at this point I can see how it can help. I'm just hoping it'll also help with learning how to enjoy life again, too. If I can get those two things from this group/study, it'll all be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment