Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Regression...And Yet Not

One thing I've run into in the last couple of years is that life happens. Things go haywire. Unexpected stuff comes up. Things break. Medical issues crop up (which seems to be one annoying side-effect of getting older). And so on and so on and so on. Much though we'd like it to be the case, the word keeps spinning despite having to deal with the death of a spouse. Any mercy we get is grace or comes from the caring and support of people around us. We don't get a free pass from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, no matter how bad it was or how hurt we feel.

As time goes on, we get better at handling the little stuff. The day-to-day stuff. Realizing the car's low on gas. Or that the milk in the fridge is all but empty. Or that the lawn needs to get mowed again. Those get easier. And as they do, we gradually get to handle things that are a little bigger with a bit more grace and ease. It sneaks up on us. I know I didn't see it happening at the time. It was just realizing one day that I'd achieved the goal I'd set of wanting to get to where I felt like I could handle a whole day at a time. Sure, not all days were easy, but I was at a point where I wasn't starting the day having to just think about the stuff for the first few hours because trying to think of more was overwhelming. It surprised me when I could look at an approaching weekend from the vantage point of Friday afternoon and not feel anxious or depressed by the prospect. I didn't know exactly how it happened. I still don't. But it did.

And yet, there are still big things that happen occasionally. Those are the kinds of things that are just part of life that everyone gets to deal with. They're the kinds of things that throw most people for a loop, at least for a while. In the last few months, I've been having to deal with having been diagnosed with cardiac arrhythmia. I'm lucky enough that it's not the worst type that it could be, and that it's not something requiring immediate surgery or hospitalization. Still, it's a big deal. The idea that my heart isn't quite working right is a sobering and scary one. It helps to remind myself that this is the kind of thing that would mess with just about anyone's head.

What I'm finding still gets tricky is this. When those big things happen, when they do a number on my head, when they leave me either hideously anxious & raw or just emotionally flat, when they leave me having a hard time enjoying stuff that had been fun before...see, those are the times that remind me of what it was like after me darlin' wife killed herself. And, in that raw state, it's easy sometimes to get to be afraid that I've fallen back into that fresh, painful stage of grieving all over again. One of the things that's rough in those times is to remind myself that sometimes feeling like that is just a reaction to normal life. It's sometimes painful and unpleasant, but it doesn't mean that the progress I've made has suddenly been undone, leaving me back where I was. It passes a lot faster. I've been better able to sit with it for awhile overall. Admittedly, sometimes I do better at sitting with it and not reacting than others. But, while it's similar, it's not the same.

Trudging down through the landscape of Hell, sometimes some areas look the same. That's where it helps to be able to look back up to see where I was and how far I have come, even if it feels for a moment like I'm back where I was. It's OK to feel the fear of that. As long as I don't stop on the journey down to get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment